There are some things that only exist on the Knicks because this is an insane and screwed up franchise. In order to simplify things we decised to come up with a dictionary to explain these Knicks only phenomena. Here is the Knicks Dictionary which will be updated as necessary:
3rd Quarter – The quarter the Knicks take off every game before trying again in the 4th
Accountability – The best way to learn is to be allowed to keep doing what you are doing.
Big Lineup – Playing tall players.
D-focused Coach – a guy who doesn’t coach defense
Game Shape – Enough stamina for 3 quarters
Herb Williams – A permanent fixture of the assistant coaching staff no matter who is head coach. Never a candidate for head coach.
Knick Comeback – Coming back from at least 20 points down only to juuuuust fall short at the end.
Knick Effect – When someone on the opposing team has a season high scoring game due to terrible defense.
Knick trade – Getting fleeced while exchanging players and being happy about it.
Knicks 6th Man – This player has to be extemely inconsistent and undependable.
Knicks Out of Timeout Play – Isolation. Always.
This game made me so angry, sad, happy, grumpy, ecstatic, nervous, depressed, elated, worried and furious.
- Since the Knicks were playing the Kings it seems like they decided to try and win with only Chandler and Copeland trying in the 1st half.
- Derrick Rose is apparently healthy. He wore an Isiah Thomas jersey in the first quarter of this game and an Aaron Brooks jersey in the 2nd quarter.
- The first quarter of this game was the most disgusting thing I watched all day. And I watched Human Centipede 2 today.
- I threw up in my mouth during the Fredette coast to coast layup.
- Two minutes later I threw up again during Copelands coast to coast layup that got blocked. All 2 1/2 minutes it took him to get there. Why a layup?
- James Johnson. Season high. Knick Effect.
- Who has more confidence when they shoot, JR Smith or Chris Copeland?
- Since Dec 11th Ronnie Brewer has missed 14 straight 3-pointers, has 5 zero-point games and another 3 2-point games. Shumpert needs to come back ASAP.
- James White got the start, picked up 2 fouls in the first minute and was benched until the middle of the 2nd quarter. Thanks for the contribution!
- The Knicks were down by 27 in the middle of the 2nd quarter to the Kings. 27!
- In the 3rd quarter the Kings remembered they were thing Kings and let the Knicks pull to within 6.
- Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws. Tyson hit your free throws.
- Phantom foul on Kidd, Thomas hits both because unlike the Knicks the Kings can hit their free throws. (at one point in the 1st quarter the Knicks (Chandler) were 0-4 and the Kings were 10-10) That was the first bad call I’ve seen all night, not bad. And the Knicks are still up so all is good.
- The Knicks pull off the impossible, come back from the largest deficit in Knicks history and are up by 2 at the buzzer.
- Oh wait, not quite at the buzzer, Kings hit a buzzer beater to ruin Knicks fans day 1/2 hour into it. That one hurt.
So last year we noticed that it seems like every game someone is getting a season high against the Knicks. I decided to see if this is true and kept a running list I called the Knick Effect. It turns out 37 players had their best or second best game against the Knicks last season. This season we got the 2nd best defensive center in the league. It doesn’t seem like it’s made that much of a difference, 44 entries this time. So without further ado here is the 2011/12 Knick Effect:
12/25 – Rajon Rondo – 31 points
12/25 – Brandon Bass – 20 points
12/28 – Brandon Rush – 19 points
12/29 – Jason Kapono – 9 points
12/31 – Jason Thompson – 13 points
1/4 – Boris Diaw – 27 points
1/12 – Rudy Gay – 26 points
1/14 – James Harden – 24 points
1/16 – J.J. Redick – 21 points
1/16 – Ryan Anderson – 30 points
1/18 – Steve Nash – 26 points
1/18 – Shannon Brown – 14 points (tied for best)
1/20 – Brandon Jennings – 36 points
1/20 – Shaun Livingston – 18 points
1/21 – Danilo Gallinari – 37 points Continue reading
To quote Frazier, it has been a long time since MSG has seen “winning and grinning”. The Knicks actually beat the Orlando Magic tonight, and though it took overtime to do it, I am just freakin’ happy. Some points from tonight:
- The Knicks played defense tonight!!! This was a shocking event. A less shocking event would have been Jared Jeffries giving birth to a unicorn baby through his anus at halftime.
- this would be the unicorn baby
- Carmelo scored 39 points with 10 rebounds. Amare had 20 points with 9 rebounds. The Knicks got about as much as possible out of their boring isolation heavy offense. If they can actually get the offense grooving again and keep playing defense they could possibly put up a fight in the playoffs.
- While Shelden Williams fouled out in 16 minutes he had a couple of huge plays including a big rebound and forcing a jump ball with Dwight Howard.
- Jared Jeffries for some reason allowed Jason Richardson to shoot a basically uncontested three to tie the game at the end of regulation. I guess the defense Jared Jeffries provides does not include putting his hands up to contest important shots.
- One of the biggest plays of the game was a lucky foul call against Jason Richardson. Carmelo and Richardson were scrapping on the floor, Carmelo nudged Richardson to the floor while getting up and Richardson tripped Carmelo in retaliation. Luckily the ref only saw Richardson’s trip which nullified big Turk’s game tying three. YAY playing dirty and stupid retaliation!
- Shockingly no Magic player benefited from the Knicks Effect.
Download Episode 50