In Episode 170 Marc and Jay gave their mid-season grades for the Knicks roster. Here are the results:
Carmelo Anthony – A
Ronnie Brewer – C-
Marcus Camby – F
Tyson Chandler – B
Chris Copeland – B+
Raymond Felton – A-
Jason Kidd – A+
Steve Novak – D
Pablo Prigioni – C+
Iman Shumpert – B+
J.R. Smith – B+
Amare Stoudemire – C+
Kurt Thomas – C-
Rasheed Wallace – B+
James White – C+
Mike Woodson – B
Carmelo Anthony – A-
Ronnie Brewer – C+
Marcus Camby – D
Tyson Chandler – B+
Chris Copeland – B+
Raymond Felton – B+
Jason Kidd – A
Steve Novak – C+
Pablo Prigioni – A-
Iman Shumpert – B
J.R. Smith – B+
Amare Stoudemire – C+
Kurt Thomas – B
Rasheed Wallace – B
James White – D
Mike Woodson – C+
Marc and Jay talk about the Boston and Philly games and then give their mid-season grades for every player on the Knicks roster. Download Episode 170
Amare played for the first time this season and Ed Malloy (who was surprisingly less biased than usual tonight) was reffing so you knew there was no way the Knicks were winning tonight.
Another reason they lost is this shot chart that I put together:
knicks shot chart
- It was really fun having Amare back tonight; looks like he watched zero game tape during his time off as he still looks completely lost on D.
- Amare was also icing both knees after pre-game warmups. A sign of things to come.
- Don’t drink every time Amare gets burned on D because alcohol poisoning is bad for you.
- If an opposing player is within 10 feet of Novak he can’t hit a shot. Woodson should see how tightly teams are playing him and give his minutes to someone else if he can’t get a good look because he’s also been emulating Amare on D.
- I liked the few minutes Chandler and Camby played together.
- Melo is going to have chronic back problems from having to carry this team every night.
- Felton can’t come back soon enough.
- The Knicks look like they are back to being the team that is completely unpredictable from night to night. Are they going to play tough and hit shots or get completely blown out, who knows anymore?
- Kurt Thomas, 3 fouls in the first 4 minutes and doesn’t play the rest of the game. How come other players aren’t on as short of a leash as Kurt?
- HIT YOUR GOD DAMN FREE THROWS
- Intense D is what got the Knicks off to such a good start. What happened? Can’t blame tonight completely on Amare, plus they defense has looked like trash for a few games now.
HEY FELTON, STOP FREAKIN’ SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Knicks played retro ball tonight and by retro ball I mean they played like it was last season. They played all iso ball all the time. There were times I thought Melo was going to break out a cape he was playing so much hero ball. This loss may be their worst all season. It is not because it was against the Nets. This one can’t be blamed on bad refs or too much travel. The Knicks didn’t catch a crazy performance from a Chandler Parsons type tonight. The defense was all right but they were ugly on offense throughout. It was every man for themselves on offense with the exception of Tyson Chandler who cleaned up and had a monster game on offense, keeping this team in the game. This loss kills me because we should not be about to enter December with this team reverting to all their bad habits. Let’s hope the real reason they lost was because Jason Kidd was out. Here are my thoughts:
- Did JR Smith wear Felton’s number tonight because that is the only explanation for Felton’s 3-19 performance?
- Did Rasheed re-retire before tonight’s game and not tell anyone? How does a guy who should only be shooting from inside the paint go 2-11?
- Hey Melo, STOP TRYING TO DO EVERYTHING BY YOURSELF!!! You have teammates and unless you trust them you are never going to win.
- Chandler was 12-13 from the field with 28 points, all of which seemed to be off of teammates misses. Does anyone want to run some pick and rolls for this guy? Chandler could have scored 40 tonight if the Knicks made any effort to get him involved in the offense. Continue reading
It has been said that we are a little too pessimistic about the Knicks and that we complain a little too much. Well here are the top 10 complaints about the Knicks 5-0 start so far:
- Their record in the NBA may be 5-0 but against the point spread they are only 3-2.
- Anyone can win their games by double digits. How about winning by triple digits?
- Kurt Thomas, Marcus Camby or Rasheed Wallace are all playing like they are old. I expected more triple doubles from these guys.
- If Melo is playing so well then why doesn’t Woodson have him play all 48 minutes every night?
- They are playing well now but how well will they do when every player on the team suffers a debilitating injury. Continue reading
Welcome to the team Chris. Hope you survive the experience.
Chris Copeland is officially a Knick. Lets face it with Amare out until who knows when, Camby still out, Rasheed never in and Chandler banged up it would have been insane for Chris not to make the roster. With Kurt Thomas and Tyson Chandler as our only bigs who will allegedly be healthy for game one it looks like we’ll get to see what Chris can do in games that matter early in the season. Hopefully this feel-good story continues once the season starts.
We won’t be seeing this for a while
OK we all knew he wasn’t going to play 82 games, but after missing 3 out of 4 preseason games Amare is now out for 2-3 weeks with a ruptured popliteal cyst behind his left knee. Yes it’s the knee he had micro-fracture surgery on. It’s not serious, but he won’t be ready for the beginning of the season.
So will Woodson do what everyone hopes and move Melo to the 4 until Amare comes back or will we see Kurt Thomas and Chris Copeland man the 4? And how many more injuries before this officially becomes the worst contract in the NBA?
I can’t wait for this to begin. Less than a month away folks!
Thanks to listener Charles for making this!